From 1850, the still small village of Hilversum with 5,000 inhabitants changed into a city of 33,000 inhabitants in 1915. The construction of roadways and the arrival of the station opened the village to the outside world. Large factories settle by rail, thousands of workers find work here. Complete working-class neighborhoods are being built for them, while villa parks are being built in the northwest for wealthy Amsterdammers. Due to the green environment, tourists also know how to find Hilversum from that time on.
This explosive growth is visible in new buildings such as country houses, industrial complexes, workers’ houses and hotels. Remains of this are windows, mirrors and painted street signs. Together with paintings, banners, photographs and utensils such as biscuit tins, they are included in the collection of the municipality of Hilversum.
These gems from the cultural-historical collection can be seen in what is known as the “ugliest building in Hilversum”. Come to Tante Jans (in the Silverpoint building) to relive these turbulent times through historical objects. At the same location you can also see the exhibition “Return Hilversum: Dudoks Traffic House built, demolished, rebuilt?” Of the Dudok Architecture Center.
The municipality of Hilversum has a large cultural-historical collection of Hilversum and Het Gooi. This collection contains cabinets, paintings, looms and many more beautiful things. Everything that can tell the history of the Hilversum and the Gooi. For example, did you know that there was a lively carpet industry in Hilversum? Or that Hilversum in 1850 (before Mondrian came to Laren) had a “Hilversum School”, in which artists such as Jan van Ravenswaay, James de Rijk and Pieter Jan Guise made romantic paintings and drawings?
For more information and questions about this collection: Cultuur@hilversum.nl.
The exhibition can be visited on Saturday and Sunday from 12 pm to 4 pm.
€ 4 per person. Children up to 12 years old: free (accompanied by an adult).
A ticket for a visit to this exhibition also gives access to the exhibitions in the Dudok Architecture Center:
– The life and work of architect Dudok
– Dudok as urban planner (from January 28)
– Photo exhibition Dudok by Baan (from January 28)