- About Dudok
- Architecture by Dudok
- Architecture Hilversum
- About DAC
Photo: Dudok Architectuur Centrum
In 1969, the school complex of the Christelijk Lyceum in ’t Gooi was built on an undeveloped plot of four hectares in the Diergaardepark in the northwest of Hilversum. With the move to the new complex, the name was changed to Comeniuscollege. The introduction of the Mammoetwet in 1968 led to school communities that necessitated an increase in scale in educational construction.
The contemporary school building consisted of several wings of two and three stories high, surrounding a square courtyard, and could accommodate 1080 students and 70 teachers. The elongated wings are made of gravel concrete and green-glazed rough brick. Long horizontal window strips form a rhythmic pattern. Special staircases enliven the facade. There were also bicycle sheds, parking space, two caretaker’s houses, sports fields, a botanical garden and a transformer house.
The school building was designed by architect E.C. Falkenburg, who was very active in Hilversum in the post-war years and left behind many homes, country houses and housing complexes.
In 1992 and 1994 some changes were made to the facades and the layout of the building, whereby the window layout and frames were adjusted in some places.
Bisonlaan 1, Hilversum