- About Dudok
- Architecture by Dudok
- Architecture Hilversum
- About DAC
Photo: www.gooienvechthistorisch.nl (SAGV032.2)
In 1919, the estate was purchased by the Stichting Diamantbewerkers Koperen Stelenfonds Nieuwe Levenskracht in order to establish a sanatorium for occupational therapy for tuberculosis sufferers. The money was raised by, among other things, the sale of the copper stems on which the diamonds were secured during cutting. Due to the post-war crisis and organizational problems, it was not possible to start construction immediately. In the period between the purchase of the estate and the beginning of the construction of the sanatorium, work was carried out on the site that would be of great importance for the future.
Large orchards were planted and part of the heath was forested with 27,000 young pines. The residence among pine or spruce were considered particularly suitable for TB patients. During exploitation, the orchards could also and especially be used by the patients. The sanatorium complex was finally planned in the area with pine trees on the south side after a study of the site. The original design included a main building and four pavilions, two of which were eventually completed. in 1928 the main building, the Henri ter Meulen Pavilion and the skeleton of the Mr. H.C. Dresselhuys pavilion completed. The Dresselhuys Pavilion was completed in 1931.
The buildings have a concrete skeleton, finished with a fleece of glass, steel (steel windows) and stucco (plastered parapets and non-load-bearing walls). The slenderness is enhanced by the rejuvenation (decreasing in size outwards) of the beams, which not only saves material but also expresses Duiker’s pursuit of immaterialization, ie the avoidance of material superfluous for the construction.
In the main building there were visible spaces for the central functions, such as the reception hall, the treatment rooms, the dining room, the recreation room and the boiler house. The floor plan of the main building was based on a coordinate system. The first east-west axis is formed by the two underpasses: the first to drop the patient off at the main entrance and the second to drive back along the other side. The second axis is perpendicular to this axis and is related to the traffic within the complex. On this axis are the stairs of the main building and the central axes of the site and the pavilions come together. The patients stayed in the pavilions.
The sanatorium function continued until 1957. The complex was then used as a hospital. In 1993 the complex was abandoned. The Ter Meulen Pavilion was renovated in 1958 and has always been in use.
Source: Annette Koenders, Hilversum. Architectuur en Stedenbouw 1850-1940, Zwolle (2001).
Loosdrechtse bos 19, Hilversum