- About Dudok
- Architecture by Dudok
- Architecture Hilversum
- About DAC
Photo: Dudok Architectuur Centrum
In 1982 the new Violenschool was built on the site where municipal architect Piet Andriessen had already built a primary school in 1898. This modern public primary school was designed as a hall school by the Rijswijk architect Pál Stipkovits.
The design originally included a school building with eight classrooms, two playrooms, four workrooms and a freestanding gym. The classrooms were grouped somewhat staggered around a hall where the common areas were located. The pent roofs were generously equipped with light windows. The lower parts of the building were built of red brick, the sloping facade parts and the structure of the gym were clad with Eternit plates.
A playground was located between the school building and the gym. A second playground was placed on the other side of the school building. In 1986, Stipkovits expanded the school with four classrooms in a corridor between the original school building and the gymnasium, which were thus connected to each other. In 1990 another extension followed with a two-storey high flat section at the expense of the playground on the other side of the school building.
ir. Pál Stipkovits had an architectural office in Rijswijk and was involved in school construction both in theory and in practice. Stipkovits was the architect of the development group of the ICS, the Information Center for School Building, which in the 1970s gave guidelines for an optimal school building. The Violenschool is a further development of the so-called ICS type: a school with a free location, one storey and large classrooms, outdoor classrooms (patios) and separate playgrounds and entrances for younger and older children. In Hilversum, in addition to the Violenschool, he also designed the Prof. dr. G. Heymans School at Laapersweg (1987).
Violenstraat 3, Hilversum