- About Dudok
- Architecture by Dudok
- Architecture Hilversum
- About DAC
Photo: www.gooienvechthistorisch.nl (SAGV032.1)
A number of complexes are located close to each other at the southern point of the eastern extension of Hilversum. They provide both a chronological overview and an insight into the development of style in Dudok’s work over a period from 1925 (ninth complex) to 1953 (twenty-first complex and school). The ninth complex in the spirit of the garden city movement is located just in the old district “over the railway”, the twenty-first complex in straight blocks lies to the east of the Plan East.
The Nassauschool is the landmark in the tenth and twelfth complex. While the tenth complex was still based on alternation in building lines, material and height, in the twelfth complex the block was introduced and the alternation is achieved by vertical accents and the rhythm of the roof shield. The eleventh complex on the Duivenstraat is located on a central plantation area. The low houses with hoods parallel to the road are located between houses with gable ends with the hood at right angles to the road.
Source: Annette Koenders, Hilversum. Architectuur en Stedenbouw 1850-1940, Zwolle (2001).
Jan van der Heydenstraat (eastside, nrs. 239, 277 - 287, Merelstraat (westside, even nrs.), Minckelersstraat southside, nrs. 40 - 50) and Spreeuwenstraat both sides), Hilversum. During large-scale restoration of the complex, at the beginning of this century, many homes of the 10th complex were demolished to make way for new construction and reconstruction in the Dudok style (the Dudok Revisited project).
Fifteen houses are original, restored and now listed as a national monument. These are the buildings Jan van der Heydenstraat 277, 279, 281 and 285, Merelstraat 40 and Spreeuwenstraat 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 2, 4, 6, Hilversum