- About Dudok
- Architecture by Dudok
- Architecture Hilversum
- About DAC
Foto: Iwan Baan
In 1925, Director of Public Works W.M. Dudok (1884-1974) designed a school complex in the expanding southside of the village. The complex consisted of a Christian school for Advanced Primary Education (ULO) and a public pre-school school (kindergarten). The school complex was built in the 1920s architectural style that is characteristic of Dudok. The former school buildings are now in use as the second location of the Fabritiusschool (formerly Catharina van Rennesschool) and by an organization for childcare (formerly Julianaschool). The school complex was designated a national monument in 1991.
It was Dudok’s proposal to build the ULO and the kindergarten as one school complex, so that the costs would not become too high. The schools had to remain separate because too close contact between the two schools of education was considered undesirable. Dudok positioned the buildings on the more or less triangular terrain in such a way that enclosed outdoor playgrounds were created, which he gave a park-like character with lawns, paths, garden walls, borders and planters. The ULO was given an entrance on Eikbosserweg, while the entrance for toddlers was on Egelantierstraat.
The design of the two schools differed, due to the functionality. The ULO, which was named Juliana School, had two floors with a total of five classrooms, a physics classroom and an art classroom. A tower marked the entrance, which was reached via a long access path along which was a closed bicycle shed. The flat roof, the brick façade surfaces and long, rhythmic windows gave the school a “strict” appearance, in keeping with the older students who were taught here. The many decorative ornaments, still related to the Amsterdam School, soften the appearance of the school.
The kindergarten was completely adapted to the size of the child. The school was kept low and a roof overhanging the roof. There were eight classrooms and three playrooms, all on the ground floor. The windows were placed low in the facades and doors, taking into account the size of the toddlers. The classrooms were connected to the playground via a ‘hop-back wall’ under the overhanging eaves. Here the toddlers could be outside and play and learn sheltered from wind and weather. The entrance was marked by a turret decorated with ceramic tiles that served as a dovecote. The kindergarten was named Catharina van Rennesschool, named after the singer, pianist and singing teacher who opened the first children’s music school in Hilversum.
Due to the careful design, the school complex forms a suitable element in the neighborhood. After opening in 1927, the complex received favorable reactions. The reporter of the Gooi- en Eemlander spoke of “a beautiful complex”, “a radiant dominant in the not too inharmonious environment”, “playful joy in line and shape and color”. The landscaping and choice of plants were also praised, with which it was achieved “that one may not only look at the zoomers, but throughout the winter at the greenery”.
Egelantierstraat 115 en Eikbosserweg 166, Hilversum