- About Dudok
- Architecture by Dudok
- Architecture Hilversum
- About DAC
Photo: Dudok Architectuur Centrum
The Clemenskerk, built in a combined Neo-Romanesque and Neo-Byzantine style, is a J.W.A. van Gils designed three-aisled pseudo-basilical church with central celebration. The beautiful, colorful interior is Neo-Romanesque.
In 1922 the church was enlarged by J. Cuypers. Due to the expansion plans in the south of Hilversum, Van Gils had already included the expansion options in his design. The exterior is defined by successive roofs on different levels. The wooden crossing tower has an ojif-shaped crown with a tower cross. M. Weiss produced the mural glass painting above the double entrance doors, depicting the sending out of the apostles, and various stained glass windows and glass objects in the church. The building lost its ecclesiastical function in 1996 and became vacant.
After a creeping deterioration, the church was in danger of being demolished in 2010. Heritage developer BOEi bought the monument and carried out a thorough restoration, which was completed in 2013. The paintings on the ceiling of the choir and the garden walls around the church have been restored to their original state. The church has been repurposed as a trampoline park since September 2018.
Source: Annette Koenders, Hilversum. Architectuur en Stedenbouw 1850-1940, Zwolle (2001).
Bosdrift 53, Hilversum