- About Dudok
- Architecture by Dudok
- Architecture Hilversum
- About DAC
Photo: Dudok Architectuur Centru
In the child-rich Van Riebeeckkwartier, which was established in the 1950s, a ‘double school’ was established in 1966, after a design by municipal architect S. Joustra (1916-2001). In 1954, Sjoerd Joustra succeeded Dudok as municipal architect of Hilversum. As chief of the architectural department of Public Works, he designed public buildings, including many schools. It was the time when new educational insights were also expressed in school construction.
The first plans for the construction date back to 1960. In order to keep construction costs as low as possible, it was decided to house the public and the Protestant Christian school in one building. In 1969-1971 a gymnasium was also built, which was connected to the school building with an intermediate member.
The Aart Verheul School was closed in 1984. In the mid-1990s, the Spinoza School merged with the Jac. P. Thijsseschool on the Eksterstraat to primary school De Dubbeldekker.
The school building has an elongated, bent floor plan that follows the shape of the water storage behind it. The volume is composed of two side wings in which the classrooms are located, two intermediate parts with toilets and staircase, and a connecting middle part with classrooms and, on the first floor, a common school hall.
In the facade, closed facade parts alternate with transparent facade parts. The facades are built in brick; the facade openings have steel frames. A lawn separated two playgrounds.
Oude Amersfoortseweg 196, Hilversum