- About Dudok
- Architecture by Dudok
- Architecture Hilversum
- About DAC
Photo: www.gooienvechthistorisch.nl (SAGV032.8)
The smithy (the left building, c. 1880) was run by the blacksmith Jacobus Spijker, who lived in the neighboring house with bell gable (c. 1770). The forge was situated on the Kerkbrink, next to the town hall and the Hof van Holland, the starting point of the diligences. His sons, Hendrik Jan and Jacobus Jr., built carriages from 1880 in a factory on Stationsplein. The forge on the Kerkbrink was run from 1880 to 1930 by P. van Walbeek. In 1886 the Spijker brothers started building the Spijker Automobielen in Amsterdam. They also manufactured the Golden Coach which was donated to Queen Wilhelmina in 1898. The buildings have been rebuilt and incorporated into the new building by architect H.J.M. Ruijssen residents.
Source: Annette Koenders, Hilversum. Architectuur en Stedenbouw 1850-1940, Zwolle (2001).
Kerkbrink 17-19, Hilversum