- About Dudok
- Architecture by Dudok
- Architecture Hilversum
- About DAC
Photo: Dudok Architectuur Centrum
The water tower was built in 1893 on the highest point of the Trompenberg. The tower could therefore remain relatively low. The design was made by the Compagnie Générale des Conduites d’Eau in Liège on behalf of the N.V. Utrechtse Waterleiding Maatschappij. The high reservoir was constructed by the company F.A. Neumann in Eschweiler.
The water tower is designed in a Neo-Romanesque style. The cylindrical tower shaft is 24.5 meters high and was originally closed by an octagonal tent roof. A steel skeleton has been built in the tower on which the high reservoir rests. The high reservoir has a diameter of 10 meters and a volume of 600 m3. The lower part of the tower has a high plinth with trim and is closed by cornices with masonry in herringbone pattern in between. The round arches have keystones and corbels. Decorative ironwork accentuates the entrance. The middle part of the tower shaft is articulated by twelve masonry pilasters with bacon layers, basement and capital. The upper cantilever contains several brick moldings with diamond and circular decorations, between which 48 small pilasters with round arches. A round-arch frieze closes the shaft. The bar gate with double entrance gate was made of wrought iron in 1910.
Source: Annette Koenders, Hilversum. Architectuur en Stedenbouw 1850-1940, Zwolle (2001).
Jacobus Pennweg 16, Hilversum